Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sanskrit things

I finished the last Sanskrit reading assignment that I'm likely to ever have again. That's not to say that I'm finished reading Sanskrit, but now I get to read whatever I want! My first order of business is to read RV 1.32 for a class that I'm teaching this summer. After that I want to read some verses of the Bhagavad Gita, which I've long wanted to do. First, however, I still have that lingering business of a final exam.

In our final class I wondered why the the root vac becomes voc in the aorist forms. We consulted Whitney's grammar, which only said that "maturer" research was needed. One of my fellow students made a great suggestion, which turned out to be right after some searching. It is a secondary reduplication: *a-va-vc-at, where *av is treated like *au.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home